Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

April 14, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World

     I am working for a child care center and we are preparing for a new student whose family just migrated from Benin, Africa and I was informed he will be placed in my room.  I was told that Benin is located in West Africa bordered by Togo and Nigeria.  The climate is tropical and Benin is sub-Saharan.  The main industry is agriculture.  My new student, Claudio will speak French, a language I do not speak.   I immediately begin researching the culture of Benin, the types of schools and family attitudes toward education.  I am also interested in learning about the music and foods of Benin and research if foods can be purchased locally.  Of particular interest is the family structure and religions of the country.

     There is an employee of the child care center that works part-time in the kitchen and speaks French fluently.  I make arrangements for this employee to assist me communicating with Claudio and his family.  I ask her to teach me a few phrases and words that will be helpful in meeting my new student’s needs during his transition into the program. 

     After completing my initial research I schedule a meeting with Claudio, his parents and the interpreter.  I am very careful to ensure Claudio and his parents are comfortable and understand what is spoken.  My goal is to ascertain their goals for Claudio and to explain the child care’s goals so we may work together to combine and incorporate their goals into the curriculum.  We discuss their family culture, their views about education, and their customs and foods, special toys that Claudio may share with classmates or that may be purchased by the center as well as special holidays and religions celebrations. The family shares that Claudio has several favorite books from Benin that he would be willing to share.  With the interpreter’s assistance, we discuss how the family handles discipline and discuss the guidelines used by the center.  We also discuss Claudio’s learning style within the family and the general learning styles that are prominent in the schools in Benin. I ask Claudio and his parents to suggest changes we could make in the classroom to reflect their culture and help Claudio feel more comfortable and at home.  Claudio’s mom agrees to volunteer in the classroom twice a week and his father will volunteer one day a week.

     Claudio’s family provided many suggestions for books, learning materials, and snack foods that reflect their country and customs.  I begin ordering books, including audio books in French and English as well as posters and several new games and toys that Claudio’s parents suggested.  The interpreter helps me add French words to all the items that are labeled around the room.  We plan a snack menu that includes some of Claudio’s favorites.  I schedule a meeting with the center director and other teachers to discuss incorporating suggestions and ideas Claudio’s parents made into our curriculum.  I plan to discuss the differences in the learning styles and discipline and to seek guidance, suggestions, and participation of the staff.  I share that I would like to add music around the world to our plans so that the children can make musical instruments, including some used in Benin.

     Last, I sought permission for the kitchen staff interpreter to spend time in our room, especially Claudio’s first day, to assist with the language barrier.  I shared all the information I gathered and learned with my children and together we planned to make Claudio’s first day a special day for him.

     My hope is that Claudio and his family will have a smooth transition into the culture of the center and our room.  We will assist Claudio to be proud of his heritage and language while learning a new culture and making new friends.  My knowledge of cultural diversity will be broadened and I hope to broaden the students’ views and knowledge of diversity as well. 

Resource

Smidt, S., (2006). The Developing Child in the 21st Century: A Global Perspective on Child Development.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joey! GREAT post!! You are still in my reader feed from our last class and I was captivated on your post from the first sentence. Wonderful assimilation of our material.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey,
    you have done such a thorough job of building a relationship with the parents and preparing your room. How fortunate that you have someone in your center that speaks French and can come into your room to help interpret so he can communicate with you and the other students. Great post!
    chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey,
    I love how you tell an entire story! You had great, detailed ideas for how to help Claudio feel more comfortable in his new environment. I particularly like your idea about asking him and his family how the environment can be enhanced to assist with him feeling secure.
    Great post!
    ~Shawn

    ReplyDelete