Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

April 7, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

     An incident that happened at work reflected classism and brought to light the magnitude of how people that are part of the dominant group are not aware of the hurtfulness of their actions.  Everyone’s favorite employee was forced into retirement due to her medical condition reaching a serious level.  We were all very sad and continue to keep tabs on her by getting updates from her best friend.  During a conversation I was having one of the clerical staff this employee’s condition was mentioned.  I realized that she was totally unaware that the employee’s condition had gone from serious to critical.  While I was updating her she started to cry.  She said, “Oh my, that’s my girl!  Every time I asked her best friend how she was doing I was told that she was fine”.  My heart broke!  I was sad to realize the extent of the hidden biases in an environment I spend the majority of my waking hours!  My friend suffered the result of classism by the dominant group because she is clerical staff.    

    This incident highlighted inequity in my work place based on the hierarchy of class.  Witnessing the devastation my friend felt first because she became aware that someone she obviously loves is in the dying process and second because she was excluded from this information.  The feelings this incident brought to me were anger and a deep feeling of unfairness. 

     There is great power in leading by example.  I am hoping my colleagues will follow my lead and develop relationships at work that are not based on an individual’s place on the totum pole of hierarchy and that this incident will be the beginning of awareness of the inequity the dominant group practices based on class.  My friend left my work area, still crying, and went directly to the sick employee’s best friend.  This time she was updated on the condition of her dying friend.  My friend used the moment as a step toward enlightening the other employee of the effect being excluded from information had on her. 

    In an adult world people are capable of educating and advocating for themselves.  Change occurs with knowledge, awareness, and sensitivity.  People must become knowledgeable about biases, prejudice, and microaggressions.  Next people must become aware of their own biases, prejudices that result in microaggressions.  Finally, people must become sensitive to the feelings of others and the effect biases, prejudice, and microaggressions have on the recipients. Every adult is responsible for this undertaking.  In a child’s world family, teachers, clergy, community members, and institutions are responsible to teach and instill equality and equity.  

3 comments:

  1. Joey,

    This is a simply sad, sad story. Thank you for sharing it. Bias and prejudice truly are everywhere and we just do not see it until incidents happen to reveal them. If anything, I think that we have all become more acutely aware of these injustices by looking and listening closely during over everyday actions and interactions.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey,
    This a great example of how classism can be so subtle yet so damaging. Before this class I would have seen the injustice, but I would not have understood it the way I do now. It has a name - microagression and it leads to bias and discrimination. It is easier to change that which we know about and understand then that which we feel but cannot define.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Chris this is defiantly a case of subtle classism yet is so damaging. As educators we should and have to set an example in order to help better our society. We are all becoming aware of our own microaggressions and others in our society. Thank you for sharing!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete