Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

May 18, 2012

Strategies to Communicate More Effectively

          One aspect of my job involves visiting nursing care facilities.  I find that I communicate with the residents of nursing homes differently than I do with my colleagues at the office.  I tend to stand closer and speak louder and slower than usual.  A strategy I would employ to adjust my communication style to the individual with whom I am speaking is observing body language and visual cues to ascertain if the person is comfortable with how close I am standing to them and if they are able to hear my voice and grasp what I am saying when talking at a normal volume and pace.  By focusing on the other person and adapting my communication style the other person will feel at ease, making effective communication more likely (Beebe, 2011). 

A second strategy to developing effective communication skills when working with elderly individuals is to ask questions.  Asking questions is a simple technique to confirm the accuracy of assumptions, such as nursing home residents are hard of hearing.  It helps reduce uncertainty and helps both parties develop greater understanding (p. 106).  Taking the time to listen effectively to the answers increases trust and allows the other person to feel respected.

The third strategy I would use to communicate more effectively with individuals residing in nursing homes is to establish common ground (p. 105). The person with whom I may be communicating grew up in a different era than I and eliminating the communication barriers may not be possible; however finding common ground to build a new dialogue combining both our cultures may create a common understanding to develop meaningful communication (p. 107).

My experience working with people residing in nursing homes is that the time and effort taken to establish a rapport supportive of effective communication is that the reward is overwhelming.  I once spoke to a marvelous woman that told me her story of traveling cross country by hopping freight trains.  Priceless!

Reference

Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful information. I liked your comment about finding common ground. I think that this is something that I do instinctively when I meet someone. For example, I went to Purdue University for undergrad. I almost always comment (saying, "I like your ...)when someone is wearing Purdue gear. Although, I may have little in common with my friends, it is a starting ground. It opens the gate for more important transfer of information. Great post! -SARAH HOLTZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older I get the more I find myself watching for clues (i.e. body language, eye contact, etc.) in order to make sure I am communicating effectively. I believe working with so many exchange students for so many years has really helped me with my communication skills. Each student is so different and what different things mean from country to country (even within the same country)still amazes me when you listen to the students communicate with each other.

    Great post! Very imformative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey,
    I am particularly struck by your last paragraph. There is so much to be learned when we slow down and listen. This is a practice that I need to get better at! You're right--it does take time and effort and that's sometimes something I feel that I don't have or don't want to give. Through this class, I'm realizing how selfish I can be when it comes to communication! Thank you for reminding me that it's not all about me! :-)
    ~Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your post. I loved the way you worded your last paragraph. Rapport is so important but many times we just want to skip the time and effort it takes to establish this rapport. I know I need to work on this in my own job. Great post!

    ReplyDelete