Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

May 25, 2012


Communication

       When comparing my self-evaluation and those of my daughter and friend the one thing that surprised me most was how similar our evaluations were.  I try to be honest and forthcoming with myself and recognize areas I need to improve.  Over the years I worked on becoming more respectful of the viewpoints and intelligence of others and to maintain a good balance between respect and consideration of other’s viewpoints (Rubin, 2009).  Although this was my goal, I was not aware of how others perceive me. 

The postings submitted by my colleagues on the Discussion Board provided many insights into the complexities of schemas and perceptions.  Many of the choices we make in our communication behavior, from the clothes we wear to the way we speak, are determined by the way we want others to perceive us (O’Hair, 2009).  When presenting ourselves in a specific light we must realize others perceive and interpret us based on their own schemas retrieved from their memories (p. 40) therefore others may not grasp the intention of our communication behavior.  Being mindful of this is a reminder to ask questions and listen effectively to ensure our messages are received the way we intend and that we are receiving the intended message of others.  Another way to improve the accuracy of our perceptions is not to rely completely on first impressions, which often lead to inaccurate conclusions (p. 44).

A second insight I gained this week is how first impressions lead to stereotyping.  When answering questions about a picture of a woman many of the answers were based on past experience.  The way the woman dressed evoked memories of particular groups of people that were dressed similarly.  Generalizing the style of dress to fit a particular socio-economic status or educational level prompted placing this unknown woman into one of these categories, thus developing a stereotypical view of her.  Without being mindful of this process it may become natural to continue making assumptions and place people into generalized categories based on stereotypes. 

          Awareness of the process of schemas, perceptions and stereotyping is important in working through barriers to effective communication and acceptance of diversity.  Effective communication and accepting diversity are paramount to working effectively with children and their families.  Being aware of our own schemas and preconceived perceptions will assist us to being sensitive, mindful and respectful of the viewpoint and intentions of others, especially children, their families, and our colleagues.    


                                                  References

O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2009). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s

Rubin, R. B., Palmgreen, P., & Sypher, H. E. (Eds.) (2009). Communication research measures: A sourcebook. New York: Routledge

3 comments:

  1. Great post. You are right that sometimes the way we dress has nothing to do with our socio-economic status. For example, my father-in-law (prior to retirement) made good money. However, he has shoes and clothes that he has had since my husband was young AND he still wears them. He is very frugile with his money and does not really care about what others think. I enjoy spending time with him and love his attitude. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post..I agree, Our first impressions are often wrong when only perceiving our own personal experiences..I agree the way someone dresses has nothing to do with socio-economic status..it is important to look at others where they are at and not where you expect them to be.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! I think we have all learned the imporatnce of not making assumptions through our current and past courses. Our personal experiences and/or schema can cause us to make bad descisions and miss the chance of meeting someone who is a great person because of assumptions. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete