Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

September 17, 2011

Sharing Web Resources

The websites I am reviewing are National Association for the Education of Young Children found at:  http://www.naeyc.org and Teaching Tolerance a Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center found at:  http://tolerance.org/teach/index.jsp .  NAEYC is a resource for teachers that cover a variety of topics related to the early childhood field including policy, national and international trends and issues, classroom ideas, conferences, and research topics.  The website provides a plethora of resources for early childhood professionals from publications to accreditation, past issues, and leadership opportunity programs to name a few.  I prescribed to one of the magazines published by NAEYC and will receive six issues a year.  The current issue of Young Child magazine features an article on movement education.
Teaching Tolerance website contains information related to discrimination.  The website has tabs for their magazine, professional development, classroom activities, teaching kit, and mix it up publications.  The current issue of Teaching Tolerance magazine features an article about making physical education classes more inclusive.  Another article that caught my attention is entitled, “Bully at the Blackboard”.  The article discusses a veteran teacher of 38 years that lost her patience with a kindergartner and called him, “Piggy, piggy!  Oink, Oink”.  The other children in the class followed suit (Koenig, D., Daniels, R. H., fall, 2010). 
According to Dr. Twemlow children as well as teachers bring their own background and experience to the classroom.   “What teachers need to know is that our brains are hard-wired to obey those in charge,” says Twemlow.   Dr. Stuart Twemlow is well-known for his research on teacher bullying, including a 2005 study in which 45 percent of sampled teachers said they had bullied a student at some point in their careers.  If bullying was seen as a process, not a person anti-bullying programs would be more successful (Koenig, D., Daniels, R. H., fall, 2010). 
Teachers bullying students interested me because bullying is usually thought to occur between students when it happens in the classroom.  I am reminded again of the importance of self-evaluation.   We must always be cognizant of our limitations and appropriate steps to take to alleviate built-up stress.
Reference
Koenig, D., Daniels, R. H., fall, 2010.  Bullying at the Blackboard.  Teaching Tolerance. Retrieved from http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/number-40-fall-2011/bully-blackboard

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joey

    You are right, this website have a lot of resources available for educators. I like to use this website to to find out different information. I subscribed to their weekly newsletter, but I have not received anything yet, hopeful It will be by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joey,
    I loved learning about and exploring the Teaching Tolerance website. I think that students have a lot of demands on them, including the pressures of fitting in, performing academically, and finding balance with these and the numerous other challenges involved simply with being a child in this day and age. Teachers, while being overwhelmed at times with their own pressures, should not add to the struggles of their students, rather they should be a source of support for them! It is also interesting to think about the opposite, students bullying their teachers. I remember from my own childhood, their being teachers that my friends and I would challenge purposely (obviously looking back I am not proud of this), but I see it all the time in my professional work too. Very interesting indeed, thanks for a good informative post!

    ReplyDelete