Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

September 10, 2011

Establishing Professional Contacts/Expanding Resources

Global Correspondence

In preparation for this assignment to establish professional contacts with early childhood professionals outside the United States I sent 19 emails to potential education professionals using the The Global Alliance of NAEYC website and one email from an alternate source I located by surfing the web. I also asked my niece visiting in the Netherlands to contact elementary schools for contacts, I asked my neighbor’s girlfriend living and teaching in Canada to correspond, and my daughter provided a contact from one of her friends that recently moved to the United States from Spain. Of the 20 emails I sent, seven were delivered. I received a response from one of the emails from an English teacher in Benin. I am planning to meet with my daughter’s friend tomorrow to exchange email addresses. I have not received a response from my contact in Canada.
Claudio Hounkponou is an English teacher from Benin with whom I have been corresponding. Claudio identified some issues in Benin that effect education as: “First, there is a low rate of girls attending school , most people in the rural areas especially peasants and farmers refuse to send their girls to school. For, according to them girls are to stay at home for household shores. Second, there is lack of appropriate materials for teaching.So, most teachers here lack adequate teaching materials. Besides, all the students don't have the books for learning. Third, the classrooms are narrow with great number of students sometimes exceeding sixty. Fourth, we have the issue of training and retaining of teachers. In today's Education in BENIN ninety percent of teachers are young people who need to be trained and retrained.”
The Republic of Benin is a small country about the size of Pennsylvania located in West Africa. Benin is bordered on the south by the Atlantic Ocean, on the north by the Niger River, on the west by Togo, and on the east by Nigeria. The country is under military democratic rule. The climate is hot and humid with an average temperature between 75 degrees and 89 degrees Fahrenheit. There are two rainy seasons and two dry seasons. Tourists are attracted to see the elephants, lions, antelopes, hippos, and monkeys. The economy is agricultural with cotton being the main crop. There are 110 Peace Corps volunteers in Benin that promote sustainable development through activities in health, education, the environment and small enterprise development (infoplease, n/d). Claudio mentioned in an email that French is their official language and “Furthermore, we have some america's volunteers in our secondary school”.

Reference

infoplease, n/d. infoplease All the knowledge you need. infoplease. Retrieved from http://www.infoplease.com/country/profiles/benin.html


Expanding Resources

I selected The National Association for the Education of Young Children website to explore and study because I would like to become a member to receive the many benefits offered including a subscription to one of their magazines. While researching NAEYC’s website I noticed easy access to their position statement, developmentally appropriate practices, an E-zine and many other resources I frequently reference. The home page to their website is visually appealing with alternating topics, publications and resources in the learn more section. This website appears to be very extensive and includes a section on publication that is of interest to me.
The NAEYC’s website supports the early childhood community by providing information about all of their publications plus the on-line publications including a scholarly journal, books and variety of brochures and other publications. You may research specific topics and authors using this website. The website provides research references as well as ready to use ideas and materials for classroom teachers.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Joey,

    It looks like you are off to an excellent start making a contact in Benin. I looks like you contact can provide you with information regarding education. Did they mention anything about early childhood education? Or are you waiting for another e-mail. Very interesting post and I like the NAEYC website is an excellent choice!

    Abby Liedtke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can honestly say I have never heard of Benin before until your post. The fact that women do not get the opportunity to go to school is sad. Unfortunently, Benin is not the only place across our world where women are not educated. I look forward in reading future posts.

    You have to love the NAEYC website as an educator. It's full of awesome resources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey,
    You will love the endless resources that the NAEYC website offers. I have been a member for nearly 10 years and find myself using their website nearly every week! I used it even more frequently when I was going through NAEYC re-accreditation as a program director but found that there were so many helpful tools and tons of information. I use their position statements and the parent resource articles for training purposes. And one of the very best things about being a comprehensive member is that you get great free books delivered to your home several times each year in addition to the print copy of Young Children. I know you'll enjoy checking it out!
    ~Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joey,

    Wow! Sounds like you have made at least one great professional connection. It sounds like the education system is very under developed in Benin. But Africa is making more strides in improving their situation, so hopefully education will not remain in such a dire state for many more years.

    Thank you for sharing your contacts insight.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for providing information on Benin, I was unaware it was even a country, but thanks to information like yours I am able to expand my mind outside the box! I'm so glad that you are on your way to gaining great information and can't wait to read about the rest.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joey,

    You have sent information to a lot ofcountries, I hope you have luck with at least one of them. NAEYC is great website with a lot of good information, I hope you enjoy the information obtained from this site.

    ReplyDelete