Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

May 6, 2011

Giving Birth

Giving birth to four children provides me with many memories. Although all my children’s births were memorable, my first and last were the most difficult. I’m going to tell you about my first childbirth experience. I was married for seven years and researched and planned to give my baby the very best start in life. I quit smoking a year before conceiving and was in very good physical shape. While pregnant I maintained a healthy diet, except for satisfying an extreme craving for ice cream. In preparation for delivery I chose a hospital that had a neonatal unit, just to be on the safe side. At all my appointments with a reputable OB/GYN practice I made sure to remind the physicians I wanted a natural childbirth - no drugs! Two weeks past my due date I finally went into labor. Once situated in the hospital I used my breathing patterns learned at Lamaze class. The nurse told me my contractions were too hard and my baby was in distress. I needed to take a new drug called Nubane. So I agreed. Eventually I was taken to the delivery room and my doctor told me I needed a nerve block. So much for no drugs. After the nurse got on top of me to push the baby out and the doctor pulled with forceps my beautiful little girl was born. Nothing in the world mattered except the beauty of seeing and holding my gorgeous baby!! Sarah is now 27. She teaches problematic high school students while working on a master’s degree in administration. Sarah is planning to get married this fall.



Learning about maternal and neonatal programs in developing countries, I am saddened to learn the surprisingly high rate of mortality and morbidity. Best estimates for Jamaica suggest that between 1,300 and 1,900 women and girls die each year due to pregnancy related complications. Most of these deaths can be prevented with cost-effective health care services (Jamaica MNPI). Although, compared to other developing countries globally, Jamaica’s maternal an neonatal programs are rated slightly higher, especially for access to services in rural areas. Jamaica is rated very high globally for encouraging immediate breastfeeding (Jamaica MNPI). The following describes the birthing experience in a Jamaican hospital:

A birthing experience in the Victoria Jubilee Hospital in Kingston, Jamaica childbirth is a community event . Women share a labor room and encourage each other during the process. This is where first-time mothers get their first “childbirth education classes”. Women also share the delivery room where midwives and nurses work together and assist one and other with each birth (Wilson, L, 1997).

In the United States we value our privacy that is inherent to our culture. Jamaican culture is more community, thus childbirth is a more joyously shared community event (Wilson, L, 1997)

References:

MNPI Maternal and Neonatal Program Effort Index Jamaica. Retrieved from www.policyproject.com/pubs/MNPI/Jamaica_MNPI.pdf

Wilson, L. (Spring 1997). Birth as a Community Experience: It Can Be Achieved in a Hospital! Midwifery Today issue 41. Retrieved from http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/community.asp

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joey,
    Thank you for sharing your story about your daughter, she was a beautiful baby and a beautiful woman. I'm sure you are very proud of her. Will you both be able to have your graduate school graduation together? :-)

    I found the last part you wrote about the community aspect of the Jamaican women sharing the birthing experience to support each other quite heartwarming.

    It is so sad that the death rate is that high and when I read statistics such as those, I always feel like I need to 'do something' to help.

    Thank you again for sharing,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joey, thank you for sharing the birth of your daughter. There will always need to be a Plan 'B' when Plan 'A' fails. Look at it this way, the end resulted the same, a beautiful baby girl (with or without drugs). :-)

    I had heard about the death rate in Jamaica. That is a very sad situation. I feel the same as Julie -- I need to do something to help to make this situation better (getting the word out or offering financial help). Good post Joey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting. I wondering is it that the medication is not affordable or it's just their belief, not taking medication? When I gave birth, I chose the natural childbirth method and I was blessed that everything went fine. I only have one child; however, I know the love of four children is great. You did good to give birth four times. Go Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joey,

    It was interesting to know that the women supported each other during labor. I think it's a great sense of unity by helping one another. I'm also happy to see how you have raised happy and wonderful children. Great job mom and Happy Mother's Day!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete