Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

March 25, 2011

Inspiration and Motivation: Quotes

Edward F. Zigler, PhD, "Father of Head Start":

"Learning is not a purely cognitive exercise; to learn, children need to have good physical and mental health and have families whose needs are met."

"My politics is children"

Sue Bredekamp, PhD


"not only do you have to consider children as individuals, but you also have to consider children as members of groups with their own cultural identities."

"Learning to read and write is the key to success in school and later in life."

Louis Derman-Sparks

"I absolutely fell in love with three and four year olds - it was the most joyful experience...it made me feel whole."

Sandy Escobido


"We professionals in the early childhood field have the opportunity to shape a child's life for the better."

Renatta M. Cooper

"Working intently with children and families was almost like earning a doctorate because every year there was always a specific challenge."

German proverb

He who teaches children learns more than they do.

Pearl S. Buck

If our American way of life fails the child, it fails us all.

Unknown


A child can ask questions that a wise man cannot answer.

Children seldom misquote. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joey,
    I loved all of the quotes you posted. The last one about children not misquoting was the best. I needed a good laugh, and that one is so very true, isn't it?
    Dr. Zigler's quote is amazing. He says very well how we need to support the whole child and those important in a child's life. That may be one of my favorite quotes, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joey,
    I love the quote from Zigler. It is so important we look at all the whole picture when it comes to the life of a child. It makes me realize how this is reflected in the work we do in Head Start today. Thanks for sharing.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading all of your quotes. The one that stood out the most to me was your last one. Young children are like sponges so they basically soak in all this information they hear and repeat it at the wrong time. The quote can also relate to older children. The other quote i enjoyed was the 2nd quote from Edward Zigler. I think anyone who is involved with in the education field should make children their politics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the qoute about children will repeat word for word. This is absolutley true. We have to be careful of what we say in my classroom, I have one little girl who nevers talks in the class, but her mother constantly tells me how she reinacts our daily events in Pre K 3....This is too funny. I enjoyed reading all of your qoutes.

    ReplyDelete