Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

March 10, 2011

Apple Tree! Apple Tree!

Apple Tree! Apple Tree! by Mary Blocksma, illustrated by Sandra Cox Kalthoff is my very favorite book. I first read this book in a book store outside of Pittsburgh. I immediately fell in love with it and bought every copy in the store plus ordered additional copies. That Christmas everyone I knew got a copy of Apple Tree! Apple Tree! The following Thanksgiving my sister organized our nieces and nephews to perform Apple Tree! Apple Tree!as a play for the moms, dads, aunts, uncles and grandparents. The kids loved it as much as the audience! My children read this book so many times the book fell apart. The story of friendship is so endearing to me. The sorrow of saying good-bye still brings tears to my eyes. Love and friendship prevail.

I have a cute story about two children. Jacob and Matthew were friends going to my child care center. One day, while we were taking a walk I over heard Jacob tell Matthew that he went to Florida. Matthew didn't skip a beat with his reply of, "so what, I went to Pizza Hut". Everything's relative!


Siblings
As you can see, I am from a family of girls having four sisters and only one brother. I'm the middle child, number three of six. In the picture I'm the one with long curls.  We are all fairly close in age and a very tight-knit family. Two of my sisters have two daughters and one son. My youngest sister and I have three daughters and one son.  Sorry boys, you're a bit out numbered!



My favorite quote about children comes from a nursery rhyme. What are little girls made of? Sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of. What are little boys made of? Frogs and snails and puppy-dogs' tails, that's what little boys are made of. I found prints of these rhymes in an art shop at the beach and bought them for my center. I think it's important to notice the differences in children. Girls and boys are so different. Every child is unique!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the picture of you and your siblings. I feel from looking at the picture you can see the close knit bond you all still have today. I have 3 sisters and we are all very close. I am the second girl out of four. My oldest sister is 29 and my youngest is 16. Although there is an age gap and we are no longer all under the same roof, we make it a point to be close with each other and keep our sister bond strong. Are your children and your nieces and nephews close?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigette,
    Thanks for your comments. The nieces and nephews are very close. We usually vacation together every summer. It's a blast!
    You really have a large age gap. The older you get the less it means.
    Take care,
    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Joey,
    Thank you for sharing that book title, it is one I am not a familiar with. One of the aspects I will enjoy about our group blogs, is getting to learn about additional educational resources from each other. One piece of my career in which I hope to grow, is my knowledge of children's literature. Our blogs will be a great support for me in this area. I also see you wrote about Pittsburgh, which is where I grew up--are you from there as well?
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's pretty cool that your family does a play of the your favorite book!! That's what family represents, Love!!! Sounds like you have a close knit family and that is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete