Blog

My photo
My adventures in the Early Childhood Studies program at Walden University have been both challenging and rewarding. I am looking forward to another challenging and rewarding experience! The pictures are of me with my son and with my daughters.

February 25, 2012

When I Think of Research...........
The insights I have gained about research include that researchers are disciplined, passionate, and committed.  Researchers devise an intricate plan to gather information or data that will shed light on a question or hypothesis about a specific topic resulting in an advancement of what is known about that topic.  The researcher must be disciplined to research past studies related to the research topic.  He must be passionate to ensure his methods of data collection and analysis use methods such as triangulation to ensure accuracy and validity.  A researcher’s commitment to the integrity of the study involves self-reflection and continuous evaluation to ensure the study is ethical and respectful of the participants, planning for their participation to the highest degree possible and reasonable. 
My ideas and thoughts about the nature of doing research have been expanded.  The various methodologies, cultures, and thought processes that are so integral to the research process were new to me.  Although ethical issues were not new to me, applying them to research was.  Participant participation in the research process has been an enlightening concept and sheds light on diminishing power relationships and applying equity.
Planning, designing, and conducting research in early childhood brought new meaning to the phrase “look at the big picture”.  The researcher must keep the entirety of the study in mind while attending to every minute detail.  Planning, designing, and conducting research interconnects every aspect of the research process from formulating a research question to ensuring the validity of data analysis.  
Some of the challenges I encountered during this course were grasping the concepts of methodology and culture and understanding the application of ethics and equity.  I met these challenges by studying the readings throughout this course and reviewing them several times, applying what I was learning to my research study, reading and trying to comprehend the viewpoints of my colleagues and professor in our discussions, and searching the web for related articles.
My perception of early childhood professionals is that of respect.  Early childhood professionals apply ethics and equity in their “everyday life” of working with children.  The lessons and guidance they provide children are based on research.  After taking this class I realize the interdependence of children, parents, early childhood professionals, and researchers of early childhood development.  Each plays a role to increase our knowledge of child development.  My perception of our field as a profession has been broadened and strengthened.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank my colleagues and professor for all the assistance provided to help me understand the difficult concepts associated with research.  At times we had different viewpoints; however this helped me gain a better understanding of the research process.  Thank you all very much!
Reference
Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing Early Childhood Research: International Perspective on Theory and Practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading your post. I definitely agree when you say looking at the big picture took on new meaning. I also have to agree 100% when you refer to the early childhood field as a profession. There are so many aspects to this field and so many are discounted as not being considered in the professional sense (even though we all know better). Good luck you you and I hope to see you in other classes!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey,
    It truly has been a pleasure being in a discussion and blog group with you and hearing your processing as we traveled this research path together. At the end of it all, your reflections here sound so very similar to mine. We have learned an amazing amount of difficult, interesting, and necessary information in this class. I feel as if I have been in a kitchen for a week, being handed the ingredients and then having to come up with our own recipe and product. Everything that you have shared here was discovered on this path (and in this test kitchen) over the last 8 weeks, and that is an amazing amount of revelation! I hope that we will cross paths again in future classes.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey,
    At the start of this course I was nervous about the topic and the fact I was starting with a new group of people. All things happen for a reason, and I realize I needed this group of colleages to help me through this course. thank you for your great posts and insight into the research process. Cindy says it perfectly, we were all given ingredients in a test kitchen with a head chef to lead us through the process of creating a product. I just hope mine is good!!!!:)
    Chris

    ReplyDelete